Wilkins at the double as Reds claim first league win

Danny Wilkins scored twice against Goole
Danny Wilkins scored twice against Goole
Share this article

Colne picked up four points over the week, including their first league win of the season on Bank Holiday Monday.

Bottom side Goole were beaten 4-0 at the Utility Renewals Stadium on Monday.

Michael Fish scored the fourth goal against Goole

Michael Fish scored the fourth goal against Goole

The Reds got off to a flying start, scoring three goals in the first 12 minutes, and never looked back.

Colne pressed forward right from the kick-off, and Alex Curran saw his 20-yard shot come back off the bar after only three minutes.

Four minutes later, Danny Wilkins broke through the middle and beat the keeper with a good finish into the bottom corner.

After ten minutes, Wilkins made a good run on the right wing and slipped the ball inside to Curran, who slotted it past the keeper and into the far corner to double Colne’s lead.

Alex Curran tries a shot at Colwyn Bay

Alex Curran tries a shot at Colwyn Bay

Two minutes later, Wilkins found space in the area and scored the Reds’ third goal with a left foot shot on the turn as Colne threatened to run riot.

The Reds came close again within minutes when Wilkins set up Phil Dean for an angled shot that flew just wide.

Goole began to make chances of their own, as Jacob Stannard headed wide from a good chance on the half hour.

But with half-time approaching, a Colne free kick by was half cleared by the visitors and Curran was again unlucky to see his close range shot hit the bar.

In the second half, the Reds went further ahead after 70 minutes when Michael Fish raced clear on a through ball and beat the keeper with a low diagonal shot to round off the scoring at 4-0.

On Saturday, Colne claimed a share of the spoils in a scoreless draw at Colwyn Bay.

Colne should have gone ahead in the opening stages when they dominated play.

Curran fired an early shot just over from the edge of the area, and Wilkins cross was cleared off Curran’s toes in front of goal.

Dean had a shot parried by the keeper, and the ball was laid off to Wilkins who shot over the bar from a glorious opportunity.

On the half hour, Curran again fired over after Fish headed the ball down, before Colne keeper Hakan Burton made a great save to turn Mulholland’s header over.

In the second half, Dean’s strong run through the middle looked promising until Seagulls’ keeper Matt Cooper dived at his feet.

And then Wilkins appeared to be brought down in the area as he shaped to shoot, but nothing was given.

Burton again made a good save to keep out Jack Hindle’s shot at his near post, and in the end-to- end action, Fish saw his header saved by the keeper in injury time.

Tomorrow, Colne are in FA Cup action when they host Lancaster City at the Utility Renewals Stadium in the First Qualifying Round, kick-off 3 p.m.

And on Tuesday, Colne are at home to Clitheroe in the Evo-Stik League Cup, kick-off 7-45 p.m., pending an FA Cup replay.