Wood hits four as Colne bag eight against Burscough

Ollie Wood heads in Colne's first goal
Ollie Wood heads in Colne's first goal
Share this article

Colne banged in eight goals against bottom club Burscough at Holt House on Saturday – with Ollie Wood netting four – to lift themselves into the play-off positions.

The Reds looked the stronger side from the outset, with Connor Gaul making good runs into the area, and Adam Morning saw his shot blocked by keeper Richard Mottram at his near post after only three minutes.

Simon Nangle in action for the Reds

Simon Nangle in action for the Reds

Michael Morrison’s header flew just past the post as Colne stepped up the pressure, and Lee Pugh’s angled drive was just over the bar.

The Reds deservedly took the lead after 17 minutes when Wood headed home a corner kick in a crowded goalmouth.

Five minutes later, Morning supplied a great cross from the left for Wood to sweep home and double Colne’s lead.

At the other end, John Holmes headed wide in a rare Burscough attack.

Ollie Wood scored four goals for Colne

Ollie Wood scored four goals for Colne

On the half hour, a pass from midfield found Morning on the left, and his searching cross picked out Wood unmarked in the area, and his shot into the bottom corner of the net gave the Reds a three-goal lead.

Burscough threatened briefly with a series of attacks prompted by their brightest player Thomas Croughan, but their finishing was off target.

And Colne went further ahead just before half-time when Morning was tripped in the area by defender Holmes, and Mark Ayres coolly converted the penalty for a four-goal lead at the interval.

Colne continued the pressure in the second half, looking for more goals, driven on by their captain Simon Nangle in midfield.

Gaul and Morning built some good attacks on the left wing and Morning added a fifth goal for the Reds after 64 minutes with a follow-up after his first shot had been blocked by keeper Mottram.

Burscough were reduced to ten men after 67 minutes when Croughan was sent off for his second yellow card after a foul on Gaul.

Colne grabbed a sixth goal after 72 minutes when Jack Lynch had his shot saved by the keeper’s feet and the ball rebounded to Jordan Southworth on the right wing, and his pinpoint cross was headed home by Wood.

Three minutes later, the Reds were awarded their second penalty of the game when Wood was pulled back in the area. Ayres again converted from the spot to stretch Colne’s lead to 7-0.

Burscough worked hard in search of a consolation goal and forced a corner on 83 minutes, but when Nangle headed away the danger, Colne broke to the other end where Morning looked a certain scorer before Mottram produced a good save to deny the Reds striker.

But Morning had the final say when he completed the scoring in the last minute of the game when he rounded the keeper and slotted in Colne’s eighth goal for an emphatic win.

Colne’s next game is on March 25th when they are at home to Colwyn Bay.