All Blacks come from behind to win derby clash

Matt Tindall crosses for Colne and Nelson's first try (s).
Matt Tindall crosses for Colne and Nelson's first try (s).
Share this article

Colne and Nelson ran out 19-13 winners in the eagerly-anticipated return derby fixture against Pendle Pheonix.

Pendle went ahead after 10 minutes as the ball was shipped to the number 10 from the base of a ruck, and he slipped through a gap and crossed over the half. Evading the last defender, he went over to open the scoring, conversion missed.

Colne regrouped, but were made to pay for missed opportunities and found themselves under the posts again.

A breakout from the Pendle 10 fed their centre, who broke through the tackles, drawing the last man and feeding the winger to dot down in the corner.

With 10 minutes to go before half-time, Colne upped the intensity. A couple of infringements in the ruck allowed them to gain some territory, only for a turnover to relieve the pressure for Pendle. The resulting lineout on the halfway line way was fed to Sumner, who popped to Tindall, who crossed after a delightful chip and chase over the Pendle back line. Sumner kicked the conversion.

After the break, Beresford, was tackled on the Pendle five-metre line. A penalty was given for the defender not rolling away and Colne opted for a scrum.

A pickup from the back of the scrum by Edwards set a platform for the forwards to pick and go, Hargreaves took control as the referee gave advantage, and a well-worked move with Padgett put him over the whitewash.

Colne knew the next score was vital, and some quick hands down the back line put Beresford and Cardwell in a good position.

Cardwell still had work to do as he crossed the 22, dancing round three players to dot the ball down in the final five minutes, conversion missed.

In the dying minutes, Pendle slotted a penalty from in front of the posts, but it wasn’t enough to deny Colne.

The Chris Riley Memorial trophy was presented to Luke Edwards.