All Blacks ease to victory in the derby

The victorious Colne and Nelson team
The victorious Colne and Nelson team
Share this article

Colne and Nelson thrashed Burnley 61-5 at Holt House in the derby cup and league double header, to earn a second round home tie against Manchester seconds next month.

A very competitive team turned out, bolstered by the family trio of father Andy and sons Zach and Alex Bullock.

A strong start by Colne saw their first try as early as the fourth minute.

An exquisite chip and run by Kyle Hargreaves saw him catch his own ball and dot it down over the try line, with the kick converted by Jordan Cardwell.

Four minutes later, a strong run by Connor Kinnane and a last minute off load saw Cardwell cross the line, with the kick not converted.

The score increased to 19-0 in the 15th minute when Zach Bullock powered over the try line, with the kick converted by Cardwell.

Two minutes later, another strong run by Cardwell saw him pop the ball to Kinnane, who was able to cross the whitewash with ease.

Colne were dominant in the first half, and Burnley really struggled to gain any possession, and were pinned down in their own half for much of the time.

Colne’s dominance continued, and in the 25th minute, Ernes Tino breezed past the despairing Burnley defence with ease, with the kick again converted.

The 30th minute saw Gary Kenyon catch the ball for perhaps the only time in the game, and a solid run saw him pass the Burnley full back easily, and he was able to drop gratefully over the try line, with the kick converted by Cardwell.

Four minutes later, a solo effort by skipper Luke Edwards saw him collect the ball on the halfway line, power through a couple of tackles and head over the try line, with the kick converted again.

Burnley then scored an unconverted try, leaving the score 47-5 at the halfway mark.

Six minutes into the second half , Edwards produced another powerful solo run from the halfway line, and despite looking frantically around for some support, was able to gasp his way to the try line and once more put the ball down. Again the kick was converted.

Colne’s final score came in the 55th minute when a solo run by Tino saw him skip past the Burnley defence and put the ball over the line for Colne’s final try of the day.

The kick was once more converted by the ever-reliable Cardwell, leaving the final score Colne 61 points, Burnley 15.

This was a really solid performance by every single player, both on the pitch and those the substitutes’ bench.

If Colne can continue with the grit, determination and will to win shown, particularly in the first half, the All Blacks could have a great season ahead of them.