All Blacks end the league leaders’ unbeaten record

Colne and Nelson
Colne and Nelson
Share this article

Colne and Nelson ended league leaders Tyldesley’s unbeaten run at a wet and soggy Holt House on Saturday with a 10-3 win.

Colne started really strongly from the kick-off, and the ball remained firmly in the Tyldesley half for the vast majority of the time.

Action from Colne and Nelson's win over Tyldesley

Action from Colne and Nelson's win over Tyldesley

Excellent work by the Colne forwards saw them relentlessly pressurise the Tyldesley defence, leading to a number of scrums awarded in Colne’s favour.

It was from one of these in the 15th minute that the Colne scrum pushed the opposition pack backwards, gaining precious ground, and allowing Luke Edwards to pick the ball up from the base of the scrum and power his way through two defenders to put the ball down over the line.

The kick was converted by Dean Edwards, leaving Colne leading 7-0.

A short time later, a bit of poor discipline saw Tyldesley awarded a penalty under the sticks, which was converted to closed the gap by three points.

Colne and Nelson beat Tyldesley 10-3 at Holt House

Colne and Nelson beat Tyldesley 10-3 at Holt House

Colne continued to press forward, and the relentless pressure paid off when they were awarded a penalty in the 33rd minute, which was again converted by the trusty boot of Edwards to make it 10-3.

And that was how it remained at half-time.

The second half saw Tyldesley start with renewed vigour, and the Colne defence were under content pressure for the first 15 minutes, however the defence remained strong, and in all truth Tyldesley never really looked like scoring.

The second half was a stop start affair, with some lengthy delays for injuries to players of both teams, although fortunately none appeared serious.

Colne continued to remain resolute in defence, and could easily have added to their score with some slick ball handling and some absolutely outstanding tackling, which left the opposition quite frankly shell shocked at times, and unable to find any response.

It finished 10-3, with Tyldesley losing their first league game for almost two and a half years.