All Blacks maintain form

editorial image
Share this article

THE All Blacks made the short bus trip to Chorley at the weekend hoping to carry the momentum on from the previous week’s win.

From the kick-off Colne looked the stronger side, with a good catch and drive deep into Chorley’s half.

Colne were using the forwards well, as Nathan Singleton gained ground at every opportunity, but Chorley struck first after a quick turnover, and their first attack saw Colne stood under the posts 7-0 down.

A few choice words had Colne fired up as the All Blacks returned the favour minutes later when Gavin Spencer cruised over the whitewash, bringing the score to 7-5.

Both teams were now firing on all cylinders as they gave as good as they got, with some fast, free-flowing rugby, and the slightest mistake cost Colne another five points as Chorley capitalised through their winger.

But again the All Blacks had the answer as the forwards drove hard at the Chorley defence, creating space for Andrew Grinrod to draw his man and release a pop pass to Spencer, who made the 30-yard dash, palming off the full back to score, with Matty Tindall adding the conversion to draw the scores level.

Colne were playing some quality rugby, and with the lineouts and scrums falling into place, Chorley found it hard to gain ground.

Half-time saw both teams even, but Colne were the better side they had another 40 minutes to prove it.

The All Blacks upped the pace in the second half and were hungry for a win as they maintained possession and controlled the flow of the game, with the forwards recycling the ball well and the backs testing the Chorley defence.

The home side found themselves playing in their own half, and a pass out wide saw Spencer intercept and rush for the line to cross over for his third of the afternoon, again converted by Tindall.

From the restart Colne were playing well, but an infringement at the ruck gave Chorley a chance, as for a good 10 minutes Colne were camped on their own try line as the home side threw everything they had at the visiting defence.

But the All Blacks stood strong, and great work by all kept the home side at bay as Colne gained a scrum and managed to clear their lines.

Colne worked their way back up the pitch, and some strong running from Luke Edwards saw his crash through his marker and sprint for the line to touch down under the posts, converted by Tindall.

The All Blacks now just had to run the clock down for another win as the final whistle drew close, and Colne maintained good control and finished the game deserved winners.

FINAL SCORE: Chorley 17, Colne and Nelson 26