All Blacks record first win of the new campaign

Action from Colne and Nelson's win at Bury on Saturday (s).
Action from Colne and Nelson's win at Bury on Saturday (s).
Share this article

Colne and Nelson recorded their first win of the campaign on Saturday, as won 31-21 at a Bury side who are also struggling to get to grips with the new North Lancashire League structure.

Colne were forced into making a few changes from the previous game, with players travelling to the capital to watch the host nation in action in the Rugby World Cup.

In came Nathan Singleton in a like for like swap, replacing Adam Padgett at prop.

A reshuffle in the back five saw Ant Minshull slot in along side Connor Kinnane at second row, with Tom Steer partnering new boy Adam Davies at wing forward.

The pack was completed by Edwards in his usual position at eight.

The backs had a more familiar look about them with both Hargreaves’ at half back, Sumner partnered Tindall in the centres and the back three consisted of Gane, Bullen and Grindrod.

The game started with Colne coming out the blocks at pace, and they soon found themselves with a penalty on Bury’s 22.

Colne upped the intensity, and with some excellent work from the forwards, Hargreaves released Tindall, who fed Gane in acres of space after cutting a superb line outside the 13. With only the full back to beat, Gane drew his man and popped to Tindall, who ran in under the posts, with the try converted.

Bury hit back with a penalty of their own, and continued to build pressure from the territory gained.

Colne seemed to drop off, allowing Bury to record a try, bringing the half to a close at 13-13.

The possession was equally shared by both teams, and with Bury looking dangerous going forward, it was only stern and well-drilled defending that kept them at bay.

Some dubious refereeing decisions allowed each side to continue to knock over a couple of penalties each.

Colne scored a try through another excellent Gane running line, sandwiched inbetween the penalties.

In the closing minutes, the ball found Tindall five metres out, who was able to feed substitute Handforth for the final try and final play of the game.

It was a day for running rugby on a perfect pitch, which suited Colne’s backs, although credit must go to the front eight, whose graft and determination around the field set the platform for a game of open, fast-paced rugby.

Colne train Mondays and Thursdays at 7 p.m. at Holt House.

If anyone wishes to play, call community coach Jamie on 07494 54314 for more information.