All Blacks start the year in style with home win over Bury

The All Blacks started the new year with a win
The All Blacks started the new year with a win
Share this article

Colne and Nelson welcomed Bury to their ground after the Christmas break, claiming a 17-12 win.

With both teams looking to start 2014 strongly, a tough game was anticipated.

Colne kicked off, and Bury showed from the first run that they were there to win.

With strong running, Colne’s tackling had to be up to scratch, something which had been an issue in the past.

With mistakes from both sides it was clear that the packs would be scrimmaging for the majority of the game.

Colne were surprised by the strength of the Bury pack, as they struggled against their competition for the first time this season.

Bury kept up the pressure in attack and drove towards the try line, but after a mistake the ball ended up in the hands of Kyle Hargreaves. Colne ran the ball back and showed the visitors that they weren’t going to roll over.

Good tackling from Bury saw the ball go loose and Bury ended back in Colne’s 22. A strong run from the forwards, hitting a rare gap, took the score to 5-0 to the visitors, the conversion missed.

At the restart, Colne were tackling stronger and soon had possession. With powerful running from both forwards and backs, it wasn’t long before the home side were in Bury’s 22. Good support play had the ball staying alive and moving through the hands. Colne’s attack was stopped when the ball was lost forward and Bury cleared downfield.

All of a sudden Colne seemed to be giving away more penalties than they would have liked and Bury again got into the 22. A controversial hands in the ruck decision gave Bury the opportunity for a tap and go close to Colne’s try line. Colne were not prepared and allowed Bury an easy try, with the conversion successful.

After the restart the game was very evenly matched again. Colne were given a penalty just in front of the posts, however, Matty Tindall’s kick came back off the post. The half time whistle saw Colne trailing 12-0.

The second half started with Bury kicking to Colne, and strong supporting from the forwards and fast, safe hands from the backs soon saw Colne in Bury’s 22. A short pop to a charging Nathan Singleton had him crash over, with the conversion good.

Colne again worked their way up field. Close to their own try line Bury knocked the ball on, and Kyle Hargreaves picked at the back of the scrum and dummied two defenders to go over, with the conversion missed.

The game restarted and with outstanding play from the backs the ball was passed to Tindall. A brilliant chip and chase saw him outpace his opposite number and score Colne’s third try in seven minutes, to seal victory.