All Blacks victorious again after tetchy trip to Newton-le-Willows

All Blacks victorious against Newton-le-Willows
All Blacks victorious against Newton-le-Willows

Colne backed up their win against league newcomers Mossley Hill with an 18-10 victory at Newton on Saturday.

The first five minutes resembled that of a walk over with Colne kicking to the corner, and a well-worked catch and drive saw them walk to the five metre line.

A pick and go from Luke Edwards put Jamie Gane one on one in the corner, and after some good footwork and a dummy, he crossed the whitewash to put Colne 5-0 up, though the conversion was missed.

As Colne celebrated, Connor Kinnane was forced off with a sore ankle, with a chance for Ant Minshull to regain a place at wing forward.

As the half progressed, Newton began to claw some possession back, but with Colne dominating the scrum, strong running from the ever-present Luke Edwards put the locals in a good position, and with the backs having clean ball, they were able to run some well-worked moves.

The forwards continued to work well, with Harry Whit and Matt Boatright cleaning up the ruck area, Nathan Singleton and his trademark hand off gaining yards, and Lance Jones working well with the pick and drive from the base of the ruck.

With the first half coming to a close, an overlap on the left wing saw Matty Tindall cross the try line putting Colne in a strong position, although a well-worked move from Newton allowed their winger to score in the corner, with the conversion missed.

The second half started and the tone was set early- a sour one from both teams as the chat between the two sets of players began, off the ball incidents started to crop up, and handbags were brought out.

A phase of 10 or so minutes allowed Colne to crawl up the pitch, and again a well-worked backs move allowed Tindall to force his way, with the help of Harry Whittaker, to cross the try line. The conversion was missed.

Credit to Newton, who continued to play, and apart from a penalty which was converted by Handforth, they had plenty to be proud of.

Tempers started to flare as the referee’s handling of the ruck area was beginning to grind on the Colne players, resulting in Gary Kenyon taking the law into his own hands.

A stamp on the hands of the Newton, who were clearly playing the ball on the floor and not releasing, saw the ref brandish a harsh red card to the winger.

Newton exploited this extra man and finished the game with a score in the corner, with the conversion missed.

Anyone wishing to have a try at rugby, experienced or beginner, contact Ian Cockroft on 07590 818341 or turn up at the club on Mondays and Thursdays at 7 p.m.