Another bonus-point victory for the All Blacks as Broughton are put to the sword on their own turf

Colne and Nelson earned second win of the campaign in convincing fashion
Colne and Nelson earned second win of the campaign in convincing fashion
Share this article

Colne got their second win of the season at Broughton on Saturday, once again getting a bonus point in a 41-7 victory.

After 15 minutes, quick ball from the ruck saw some fast hands from the backs and a looped pass to Kyle Hargreaves to score the first try.

Colne had to dig deep and try and improve the scrums and lineouts, but after one of many high tackles, Colne were awarded a penalty on the five metre line, and Adam Padgett crashed through the forwards to cross over to make it 10-0.

Broughton replied with a try through the forwards off the back of a five-metre scrum, which they converted, but a lovely chip to Callum Kinnane allowed him to out sprint the backs to score the last try of the half, with Jordan Sunderland converting.

​From the kick-off Colne started at pace. Just two minutes into the half, the backs shipped the ball out to Kinnane, who chipped the ball over the full back and ran around to score his second try to secure the all-important bonus point. Tom Gallagher converted to make the score 24-7.

Colne continued with their attacking form and after a couple of juggling mistakes eventually popped the ball to Alex Wood who dived over, though the referee awarded the try held up. With great scrimmage work from Wood and Lance Jones, the ball was recycled and passed to Mark Britcliffe, who strolled over to score, Matty Tindall converting to push the score to 31-7.

With Colne very much on the front foot, coach Ian Cockcroft replaced Ryan Sumner and captain Tindall with Aaron Denton and 17-year-old debutant Dem, who didn’t take long to score.

Kinnane popped it out wide to see Dem sprint down the wing and secure a sixth try.

With Colne keeping possession from the restart, Connor Kinnane made a crashing run down the left side of the field, and the ball went out wide again with Dem twisting, diving and dancing his way past the opposition to secure Colne’s seventh and last try of the game.

With yet another strong performance from Colne, the training will continue ready to face Carnforth in two weeks time.