Ashton under Lyne....41 Colne and Nelson........7

editorial image
Share this article

Ashton under Lyne 41, Colne and Nelson 7

Colne travelled to Ashton under Lyne hoping to inflict another 24-0 victory as they did earlier in the season.

But with game time becoming ever closer, Colne found themselves drafting in second team players to fill some gaps.

Colne started slowly and gave the Manchester outfit room to move on the pitch, and within just a few minutes the All Blacks found themselves a try down.

As the first half ticked away, Colne struggled to defend against the strong running from the home side, and the mistakes came thick and fast for the All Blacks as Ashton ran in four more tries in the first half - all of which could have been avoided.

A tough team talk at half-time had Colne come out of the blocks looking stronger and hoping to regain some dignity from the shocking first half performance.

Instantly they gained the advantage and pinned Ashton back in their own half, but the home defence held strong, aided by the referee.

Colne pushed hard, and their work paid off when Jordan Sunderland crashed his way over to score, and Callum Kinnane backed that up with a superb long range kick to put Colne on the scoreboard.

Colne continued to look like the team of previous weeks, and kept Ashton in their own half, and a good set piece move saw Jason Wade crash over to score.

But the referee was nowhere to be seen, and when he eventually turned up, he deemed the try as held up, and disallowed the score.

Colne’s determination never faltered, and right up to the final whistle they played in true All Black spirit, especially the conscripted players who held up to the trial by fire extremely well.

Colne face league leaders Manchester Medics at Holt House tomorrow.

Derby day at Colne saw the second team entertain near neighbours Clitheroe seconds in a game the All Blacks needed to win after going close at Carnforth two weeks earlier.

The Colne kick-off imediatley saw the All Blacks win a scrum jon the 22 metre line, but the Clitheroe pack held firm and were able to clear their lines.

This gave the Clitheroe team heart and they attacked the Colne line, putting the defence under imnense pressure, and Clitheroe got their rewards with a try in the corner, although the conversion was missed.

From the restart Clitheroe attacked the Colne line time after time, until they broke through the defence with their big second row forward using his bulk to crash through to score, and this time the conversion was good.

At 12-0 down Colne started to rally and throw wave after wave of attacks at the Clitheroe defence until they were awarded a penalty just inside the 22 metre line.

Quick-thinking John Tindall whipped a long pass out wide for Craig Frankland to crash over in the corner.

The conversion was missed, and at half-time the score was 12-5 to the visitors.

After the break Colne started to get their act together and do what Clitheroe had done to Colne in the first half.

Midway into the half, Colne won a scrum on the Clitheroe 5 metre line, and the ball was passed down the back line, where Simon Hoyle attacked the last man and spun the ball wide for Nathan Grant to go over in at the corner. With the conversion scored, it was 12-12.

Clitheroe came back at Colne and scored a try and conversion, but from the re-start Colne applied pressure and were awarded a penalty just inside the Clitheroe half.

Jason McQuillan’s tap and go saw the ball passed down the line to scrum half Jack Handforth, who drew his man and gave the ball to debutant Ashley Grant for his first try in senior rugby. The conversion was missed, leaving the score 19-17 to Clitheroe.

Again Colne threw everything at a tiring Clitheroe, and from a lineout deep in the Clitheroe half, number eight Steve Edwards charged the line, only to be brought down just short.

Colne were awarded a penalty, and a quick tap and go put the ball back in the number eight’s hands to score, with the conversion good from Hugo Lever.

Colne were now in front at 24-19, and late on they were awarded a penalty in front of the posts which was kicked by Lever to leave the All Blacks winners by 27-19.

The Under 12s and Under 9/10s travelled to Blackpool.

The Under 9s played a hard-fought match and showed why this team, which consistently play teams above their age group, are undefeated this season. The final score was 10-8 to the All Blacks, with Ali named man of the match.

For the Under 12s, the back row played fantastically well, and Liam, Jack, Zet Piliso and Rory Towers could easily be named man of the match for their exceptional play for the opposition. Star man was speed machine Imi, and the final score was 77-19 to the All Blacks.

The Under 8s-Under 12s are at Holt House on Sunday against Blackburn, kickoff 10 a.m., while the Under 15s and 16s travel to Rochdale - meet at the club at 9-30 p.m.