Brace for Waters as Forest earn impressive home win

editorial image

Two goals from Cathy Waters saw Pendle Forest to a 2-0 win over Northern in North Division Two.

Northern won 9-0 the previous week, so Forest approached the game with caution but tactically wanting to attack from the start.

Forest showed good movement going forward, with early crosses finding the gaps, and were unlucky not to be 2-0 up in the first 10 minutes with near misses from Olivia Purtil and Charlotte O’Brien.

Northern then turned the game and showed a spark of attacking play, testing the Forest defence, but other than one shot on goal forcing a diving save from Laura Kendall, their efforts were swiftly dealt with.

Forest then saw the break, and after a succession of penalty corners, Waters fired the ball home with a straight strike from the circle edge to take the lead.

Early after the break the ball rarely found itself in the Forest half.

Then the locals were awarded a free hit after Northern dissent, for pushing the ball away. This led to a green card warning for a Northern midfielder.

Only minutes later the same player repeated this action, leaving the umpire no option but to show her a yellow card, leaving Northern temporarily with 10 players.

As the Northern player was making her way off the pitch, a through ball from Dani Hornby was touched on by Karen Nuttall for a second Waters strike, leaving the keeper stranded to secure the win.

The first team are away at Liverpool Sefton tomorrow.

The second team lost 2-1 to Lancaster and Morecambe in their first match in the Lancashire Premier Division, with Ali De Curtis scoring.

Judith Hind hit the post with a penalty flick awarded after a Lancaster and Morecambe defender tried to catch the ball on the line.

Pendle Forest’s third string hit the ground running against Garstang, who had come down from the First Division.

Despite losing key player Denise Tuck to injury soon after the push off, Forest remained focused, committed and disciplined.

Three 13-year-olds played their first competitive women’s match and each played hockey beyond their years.

Freya Bythell was outstanding at centre of midfield and distributed the ball confidently to the flanks for Zoe Kidney and Sally Ralphson.

Seasoned striker Claire Birkett made the breakthrough, when a long ball from defence was picked up by Deborah Batley and struck at goal.

The keeper saved, but Birkett picked up the rebound and fired home to make it 1-0 at half-time.

Garstang came at Forest in the second half but skipper Dee McInnes denied them an equaliser with a diving stick stop inches from the goal line.

Kidney and Bythell both went close, but one goal proved enough.