Burnley and Pendle complete the double over game Broncos

Action from the game
Action from the game
Share this article

Burnley completed the double over the Broncos A after a superb second half performance.

The first five minutes was end to end, and the first score came when a skilfull dropout from Shaye McCullough found touch, giving Burnley and Pendle possession at a scrum.

The home side worked the ball forward with strong running from Sam Walker, and when the defenders were penalised for stripping the ball in the tackle, a quick tap was taken by McCullough, who delivered the ball to second rower, Adam Healy, to crash over.

Bury hit back almost immediately with dangerman Hardman rampaging down the left wing. Some flimsy defence allowed the attack too much room for Bury to cross the line out wide. The try was converted to give Bury.

The visitors failed to consolidate their lead by gifting Burnley and Pendle the ball from the kick-off by knocking on from the restart. From the scrum, the Black and Reds moved the ball forward with Ben and Adam Healy leading the way. With Burnley and Pendle camped on the Bury line, the ball was moved wide to Walker, who reached out to place the ball over the line. The conversion by Marcus Farnworth was ruled wide.

Both defences seemed to tighten up on the 20-minute mark. The solid Burnley and Pendle pack gave no quarter, putting in some big shots that seemed to rattle the visitors. One such tackle, close to half time, eventually displeased the official who awarded a penalty to Bury. In good field position, the visitors declined the opportunity to go for a try, instead opting for a penalty kick to tie the scores at half time at 8-8.

The home side kicked off the second half and pinned Bury on their own tryline with some impressive defence. On the hand over, the ball was driven deep into the visitors half, and a great offload by Ryan Bradley found Walker in support, before a quick play the ball saw Ryan Mirfield spin out a tackle to score next to the post, converted by Farnworth.

From the kick off, the Black and Reds ran the ball back strongly. The visitors could not contain a powerful run from Adam Healy, who split the defence on halfway, and found an extra gear to outpace the covering defence to score under the posts.

A further try by centre, Ian Coates seemed to put the game beyond reach at 26-8, and though the Broncos scored a converted try to make it 26-14, scrum half, Danny Rowland snuck over to put the match to bed.