Clean sheet as Maroons win again

Clitheroe halt a break from Tarleton on Saturday (s).
Clitheroe halt a break from Tarleton on Saturday (s).
Share this article

On the first real wet Saturday of the season, Clitheroe won beat Tarleton 15-0 at Carr Lane in Raging Bull North West Leagues Division 3 North.

The Maroons produced one of their most stylish performances for some time.

Three tries to none was no more than they deserved, and it could have been more.

Some of the passing and interplay was of top quality; with backs and forwards combining seamlessly.

In calm, clement conditions Clitheroe soon had the upper hand in the tight scrummage. Only some slightly baffling refereeing decisions let the Tarleton scrum off the hook.

Some continued eccentric decisions by the man with the whistle left Clitheroe unable to maintain pressure on the home side for any extended periods.

To their credit, the team focused on the task in hand.

Clitheroe’s backs were getting a good supply of front foot ball from both first and second phase, and after a few half breaks came to nothing, outside centre Chris Stewart opened the scoring with a trademark powerful burst.

The Maroons then upped the ante, and after a series of leg-sapping driving mauls from close range, skipper Richard Few ferreted over for his 13th try of the season.

A comfortable 10-0 up at the interval, unluckily for Clitheroe, the breeze that had abated till then, decided to gather strength and rather favored the home side.

Not that this dented Clitheroe’s attacking intention, as they reasserted themselves and attacked with some vigour.

The fact that they only secured one further try was testament to Tarleton’s high work rate in the tackle.

However when the try did come it was a contender for their best of the season. Back on their own 22, a break out of defence swept to the right, with Joe Hopkins, Joe Smith and Joe Weld-Blundell all playing their part. When the move appeared to be stalling, the back row trio of Will Dickenson, Richard Slinger and James Haynes, kept the move alive. As the ball was moved to the left, up popped outside half Marco Vaghetti to dive over in the corner.