Colne and Nelson 48, Aspull 0

editorial image
Share this article

A MINUTES silence, followed by Colne’s eight-try demolition of Aspull, provided a fitting tribute to club stalwart Chris Riley.

Scrum half Callum Kinnane was dictating the pace of the game, and the space he was creating allowed Cockroft to turn provider, as he drew in the last man before offloading the ball to Adam Davies, who scored in the corner. This time the conversion was successful and Colne had a 12-0 lead.

And that advantage was extended courtesy of an Andrew Grindrod try following good work from Aaron Denton,, and once again the conversion was successful.

Colne’s team mentality was making it hard for Aspull to cope with the forwards battering their way up the pitch, and the backs employing their quick hands and slick moves had the opposition chasing shadows.

With the ball being passed about so freely, both wingers were getting plenty of ball and the back row was always there in support, stretching Aspull and allowing number eight David Hoyle to pounce on Dean Sykes’ halted run before crashing over for another converted try to make it 26-0.

Following a couple of disallowed tries, Colne picked up momentum, and after some big hits from Alex Wood forced the opposition to retreat, Denton was able to pick up a loose pass before racing away and touching down under the posts, adding the conversion.

That paved the way for the try of the match involving Mark Britcliffe, Luke Edwards and scorer Jordan Sutherland. Britcliffe caught well before working himself some space and recycling the ball to Edwards, who powered towards halfway and offloaded the ball to Sutherland out wide who set of on the run, side-stepped his marker, sold a dummy to another, then handed off the last man and scored in the corner.

Then Kinnane was rewarded for his imposing performance.

As Shaun Grant was impeded and the ball was illegally stopped from returning to Colne’s side, the hosts opted for a scrum from the penalty which turned out to be the right decision as Kinnane picked up the ball, sold a dummy and ducked in to score.

Colne were now running rampant and added the final try of the game when man of the match Hoyle surged forward on another Colne attack before sending Howard Howarth on his way, and as he was brought down by four Aspull players, Luke Edwards picked up the pieces to score, making it 48-0.

The club would like to thank the family of Mr Riley for their sponsorship of the Chris Riley Memorial Trophy.