Colne come out on top but need to cut out costly errors

editorial image

After last week’s win Colne played host to Clitheroe hoping to keep up the good work they have been doing in training.

Clitheroe elected to kick off and straight from the off Colne started to run at the opposition.

Matty Tindall made no mistake with a penalty as he put Colne three points up. Colne once again found themselves in a good attacking position and quick ball from the half back pairing of Kyle Hargreaves and Tommy Handforth saw Andrew Grindrod power his way over for the game’s first try, converted by Matty.

Clitheroe were not just going to roll over and they found some gaps on the sides of rucks and with some sloppy tackling they started to get some momentum. Only excellent individual tackling from Gary Kenyon and Harry Whittaker stopped the opposition from scoring.

Clitheroe kept the pressure on but a moment of shear brilliance from Ryan Lowe, which saw him collect the ball, power through one defender, hand off a second then side step his way past another three to score under the posts, made the score 17-0, with the conversion.

This left Colne seemingly in complete control Seemingly in control but sloppy defending allowed Clitheroe’s stand off to sneak down the blind side to score an unconverted try.

Colne kicked off the second half knowing they had to get back to basics and stop making silly errors if they wanted to go on to win the game.

Colne moved the ball from one wing to the next and stretched the opposition to breaking point allowing Tindall to finish of an superb passage of play with a try which he then converted. Colne were now 24-5 ahead but Clitheroe never gave in and kept hammering away at Colne’s line, some excellent defending by Colne and some handling errors by Clitheroe stopping them from scoring.

With only 10 minutes left the controversial moment happened as a penalty awarded to Clitheroe was taken quickly and a pass was thrown out to there stand-off.

Fortunately Colne’s Tommy Handforth had read the situation and smashed the stand-off with the biggest hit off the day. However Clitheroe thought he was offside and piled in looking for retribution. After the ensuing melee. which involved players from both teams, the referee decided to sin bin Colne’s Twin Cantrill.

This left Colne with 14 men for the final 10 minutes, and although they defended bravely the extra man counted as Clitheroe’s winger raced over in the corner in the dying seconds.