Crewe cuts Longridge down with five-goal blast

Pendle Forest's Sam Parker.
Pendle Forest's Sam Parker.
Share this article

After her hat-trick in the opening game of the season, Lisa Crewe scored five goals on Saturday as Pendle Forest beat relegated Longridge 8-1.

Forest set out in positive manner, and after five minutes Crewe travelled into the right side of the circle and shot across the goalkeeper to put the hosts 1-0 up.

Shortly after, a Crewe reverse stick strike saw Kayleigh Vickers’ quick reactions deflect the ball past the goalkeeper at waist height.

Forest continued to dominate, but a breakaway chance for Longridge saw a quick ball put through to the centre forward, who placed the ball neatly home to make it 2-1.

Longridge picked up a green card after failing to retreat five metres from the ball at a free hit, and with the locals down to 10 players, Forest pushed on again.

Just before the break, Crewe converted a penalty corner to make it 3-1.

Ten minutes into the second half, Crewe completed her hat-trick, and then added her fourth with well-taken efforts.

The sixth goal came from open play when Sam Parker drove into the D and fired the ball home.

Longridge then pressed Forest back in their half for a period, but although they had some good individual skill, there was no real pressure for the Forest keeper.

Some weary tackles saw Dani Hornby and Crewe sinbinned, but Crewe returned to score one more penalty corner and captain Cathy Waters converted a simple chance for a final score of 8-1.

The first team play Lytham away tomorrow.

The second team travelled to Lancaster and Morecambe and won 2-0 to claim a place in the Caley Trophy quarter-finals.

Forest played possession hockey, and Janet Mitchell-Stanworth converted a short corner in the first half to enput them ahead at half-time.

Forest continued to dominate in the second half and put the game to bed when Mawgan Naylor converted an opportunity.

The seconds start their league campaign tomorrow at home to Lancaster University.

Pendle’s third team played their first competitive game on Saturday, winning 11-0 at Lytham in the first round of the Caley Trophy.

Cath Hutchinson put them ahead, and soon got her second. Claire Birkett then nipped in to dink a cheeky reverse stick ball over the line.

Hutchinson’s hat-trick came via a cross from Emma Ziegloser, and Amy Greenwood then scored her first goal in two years, before Birkett nicked another.

In the second half, captain Diane McInnes netted two tap ins, while Birkett clinched her hat-trick and Hutchinson added her fourth.

The U15 girls started their league campaign on Sunday when they won 2-0 against Blackpool with a brace from Thea Cormack.