Five-star Pendle Forest earn fine away win at Lancaster

Action from Pendle Forest seconds' 5-1 win at Lancaster on Saturday
Action from Pendle Forest seconds' 5-1 win at Lancaster on Saturday
Share this article

Pendle Forest’s penultimate North Hockey Women’s League Division 2 North West fixture at home to Wigan fell victim to the snow on Saturday.

Forest, already crowned champions, are at home to Lytham St Annes tomorrow.

The second team travelled to Lancaster, and after a poor start found themselves 1-0 down when the defence failed to pick up the Lancaster forwards.

This was the kick up the backside Forest needed, and they pressed forward with some great work down the right by Thea Cormack.

Forest had a succession of short corners, from which Clare Woodcock equalised with s strike from the top of the D.

Forest settled and began to dominate play, and took the lead when Olivia Bythell picked up a ball from Cormack, dummied one way, then scored with a tomahawk reverse stick shot.

Lancaster’s keeper kept them in the game until half-time.

After the break, Forest continued to dominate, creating chance after chance, and it wasn’t long before a perfectly-weighted ball by Natalie Mitchell found Freya Bythell, who rounded the keeper and slotted home.

Lancaster had a player sin binned, and Forest were rampant, creating chances down both flanks. The fourth goal came from a short corner – the keeper saved Bythell’s shot, but stalwart Judith Hind slotted the rebound home. Hind finished off the scoring, picking up an excellent ball and steering it past the keeper.

A great away win means Forest retain second place in the league and they host third place Preston tomorrow.

Pendle Forest’s thirds played on Sunday at home to Clitheroe. From the off, Forest had the upper hand and were awarded a number of penalty corners. Diane McInnes hit out to Rosie Southworth, who fired just wide, and then hit the post with her second effort. It was third time lucky as Southworth controlled the ball, slipped back to McInnes who squared for Claire Birkett who deftly flicked the ball over the line.

Five minutes from half-time, Clitheroe had their best chance. Forest keeper Debs Lancaster ran out to clear, but received an head injury which ended her match and stopped the game for 40 minutes while medical support arrived.

Striker Birkett agreed to play in goal for the second half.

AIn the second half, former Forest player Gill Middleton equalisedfrom close range, and Cath Hutchinson saw a penalty saved, before Emma Ziegloser struck a winning goal for Forest.