Hockey: defeat leaves Pendle Forest in third

Olivia Bythell
Olivia Bythell
Share this article

Pendle Forest slipped to third in the North West Women’s League Division 2 as they suffered a 1-0 defeat at home to Formby on Saturday.

Forest started well, forcing Formby into their own half for the first 15 minutes, and midway through the half a Formby player was warned for distance, and some frustration from their keeper also led to a green card.

The sides went in goal-less, but in the second half, Forest had opportunities, but couldnt find a way past the Formby keeper.

When they did get the ball in the back of the net, it was disallowed for an infringement in the D.

Then, on the break, Formby managed to convert their only serious effort on goal.

Forest stepped up a gear, and battled hard, with great work rate from Sam Parker and Olivia Bythell in midfield.

Formby had a player yellow carded in the last few minutes, but it came too late for PF to take advantage.

The first team are at Springfields tomorrow.

Unbeaten Pendle Forest seconds travelled to Preston to play Springfields’ thirds, earning a 3-0 win in their chase for promotion.

All the goals came in the first 15 minutes. First, Forest won a short corner, and when a shot from Janet Mitchell-Stanworth was saved, the ball fell to Dani Hornby, who struck the ball sweetly on her reverse stick to find the bottom right corner.

Forest went further ahead from another short corner when Cath Hutchinson reacted to a loose ball in the D and lifted the ball over the keeper. And it was 3-0 when Judith Hind converted a nice through ball.

Forest’s thirds moved within three points of the leaders when they beat Lancaster fourths 3-1.

Forest went ahead from a penalty corner, as Diane McInnes hit out to Emma Ziegloser, who slipped the ball left for Charlotte O’Brien, who swept the ball with power past the keeper.

Lancaster equalised just before half-time, but Forest regained the lead when O’Brien spread the ball wide to player of the match Amy Trickett, who crossed for Ziegloser, who slipped the ball to Claire Birkett, who reverse passed to Diane McInnes to score.

And with five minutes remaining, Trickett again picked up a ball from O’Brien and slipped a pass to Birkett. Birkett’s shot was saved, but McInnes slotted in her second from the rebound.