Pendle Forest earn scrappy draw

Jan Cormack
Jan Cormack

PENDLE Forest gained a point in a scrappy game against Lancaster on Saturday.

Lancaster had scored eight goals the week before so Forest knew they were in for a tough game, but were confident of a result with Sally Evans and Dani Atherton lining up for the first time this season.

Lancaster started well, putting Forest on the back foot, but they failed failed to create any clear-cut opportunities.

Tempers began to fray as stick tackles flew in from both teams, and captain Cathy Waters was carded for not retreating five metres quickly enough.

Forest began to assert their authority on the game and Hayley Baines had a shot cleared off the line before Atherton forced the Lancaster keeper into another save.

In the second half, player of the match Jan Cormack snuffed out all Lancaster attacks easily, before Lancaster went down to nine players when two players were sin binned, but Forest failed to capitalise on their advantage.

Waters went close from a short corner with the ball going inches wide, and with five minutes left on the clock, Atherton had another shot cleared off the line which meant the game finished 0-0.

Forest are away at Leeds Carnegie tomorrow, and the club thank Pettys Estate and Letting Agents, who sponsored the match ball.

Pendle Forest second team had a tough game against Springfield on Saturday.

Forest started well, but the lack of experience showed and within the first 15 minutes Forest conceded a goal from a short corner.

Springfield kept the pressure on, and from a defensive error Forest conceded another goal and went in at half-time 2-0 down. Forest changed formation after the break and came out on top, with some excellent passing and pressure. However, they were unable to break down the Springfield defence, and some excellent saves from the keeper kept the final score at 2-0. The second team are at home against Lancaster third team tomorrow.

Pendle Forest third team needed to put in an improved performance after the result the previous week, and that they did, but they came out on the wrong side of a 2-1 result agaiunst Rossall.

Forest were the stonger side in the first half and had much of the game, with Katie Hobson, Cath Hutchinson and Dianne McInnes all focing saves.

Forest had the chance to take the lead from a penalty flick but were denied by the Rossall keeper, and though the flick had to be retaken as the keeper moved too soon, again Forest were foiled by a second save.

Olivia Purtill had to be taken off with an injury when hit in the face by the ball midway through the half , but she was reintroduced in the second half and continued where she had left off.

Forest took the lead just before half-time when Olivia Bythell picked the ball up just outside the D, drove to the back line and crossed in for Di McInnes to slot the ball home.

Forest then gave two of their younger players, Katie Goodwill and Mawgan Naylor, their first pitch time for a senior side, and both performed well. After the break Forest again created chances, but Rossall who equalised and then took the lead with a penalty flick against the run of play. Forest sacrificed a defender for an extra forward but still couldnt find the equaliser.

The third team are at Clitheroe thirds tomorrow.

Forest won 4-0 at Timperley in the veterans’ competition first round.

Midway through the first half, the locals scored twice in quick succession - the first a strike from Janet Mitchell-Stanworth which was tucked under the keeper by Karen Nuttall, and the second guided in by Diane McKinnis again after a penalty corner strike from Mitchell-Stanworth.

The second half carried on in the same vein, with Judith Hind scoring twice to seal a convincing win.