Pendle Forest pick up first point

editorial image

Tornados claim Rosebowl

Forest made a slow start again and gave away a penalty corner, but defended it well.

They pressured the opposition down the left wing, with some lovely reverse stick work by Hayley Baines, who lifted the ball over to Cath Hutchinson in some excellent interlinking play. This continued pressure resulted in a reverse stick strike from Baines, putting Forest a goal up.

Forest went quiet after the break and Morpeth capitalised by pushing more attackers up the field and equalising from a penalty corner strike.

Following this the defence stood firm, and although there weren’t many more attacking chances, Forest came away with a well-deserved point. They play at home against Harrogate tomorrow.

Pendle Forest seconds took on Witton Warriors at Witton Park on Saturday.

Forest were on the attack from the whistle and scored within 10 minutes from a short corner by Janet Mitchell Stanworth.

Forest’s second goal came shortly afterwards from another short corner. The first strike was blocked, but the ball fell to Judith Hind, who scored.

Dani Atherton scored their third goal with a well-taken run from the halfway line, beating two defenders and beating the keeper.

Witton scored their only goal in open play just before half-time. In the second half Forest scored their fourth goal, again in open play, through player of the match Judith Hind. The second team are at home to Garstang tomorrow.

Forest thirds played their first home game of the season against Clitheroe thirds. Great play by Forest’s player of the match Mawgan Naylor down the right saw Forest getting the ball in the D on several occasions. However, Forest’s strikers, led by Denise Tuck and Claire Birkett, were repeatedly prevented from scoring by the keeper.

Twenty minutes into the first half Clitheroe scored the first goal from close range after the Forest defence failed to clear an easy ball.

Forest continued to push forward but just couldn’t find the net.

In the second half, Abbie Hunter picked up a pass from Naylor at the top of the D and turned to fire the ball towards goal, only to see the keeper once again save and clear. Play was end to end with Birkett searching for a deserved goal. It wasn’t to be, and when Forest lost possession, Clitheroe scored their second goal.

The thirds play Springfields fourth team tomorrow.