Pendle Forest stunned by late penalty corner

editorial image
Share this article

PENDLE Forest were cruelly denied a draw by a late penalty corner at Deeside.

Forest travelled with a bare minimum 11 players, and the hosts enjoyed a strong start, putting pressure on the defence.

As Forest settled, Hayley Baines had two reverse stick shots that went just wide of the post, and Michelle Smith swept the ball across the face of goal, but the forwards could not convert.

Deeside made the Forest keeper pull off some good saves, making the game all-square at half-time.

Ten minutes into the second half Deeside took the lead from a short corner and five minutes later added a second.

But a great through ball from Cathy Waters found Baines in the mix, and she managed to take the ball first time, beating the keeper, but it needed a touch from Karen Nuttall to force it home.

Within two minutes Baines and Nuttall teamed up again to draw the game back level. With 10 minutes remaining the game could have gone either way, and Forest had some breakaway chances, but Deeside took advantage of a last-minute penalty corner and took the three points.

Forest thirds played at Windermere and struggled to get into the game throughout the first half.

Windermere had numerous attempts at goal and could have scored a handful of goals but for great work from debutant keeper Tiyra Slaam and player of the match Julie Portman at left defence.

However, some great passing and striking from Windermere saw them score three goals before half-time.

Abbie Hunter had the best chance for Forest as she struck a fabulous lifted ball only to see the keeper make a diving save.

The Forest manager changed things around at half-time and the locals played much better hockey.

However, it was always going to be an uphill struggle, and despite another great lifted strike from Hunter, the keeper once again made a brave save.

Forest pushed forward in search of a goal but Windermere added another two for a final score of 5-0.