Pendle Forest1 Longridge5

editorial image

DEFEAT in their first match in a month means Pendle Forest now face a must-win game at Crewe tomorrow to stave off relegation.

On Saturday, sloppy Forest defending in the first five minutes allowed Longridge to go one ahead with a fantastic team goal.

Forest then settled down and pressed the Longridge defence for a spell, but were unable to equalise. Forest had a fantastic opportunity to equalise, but Hayley Baines squandered the chance, choosing to try and take on the last defender.

Both teams worked hard at attacking and the game flowed from one end to the other.

In only the second penalty corner of the game Longridge increased their lead with a well-worked move.

After the break, a strong attacking move starting from the left saw the Forest defence split, leaving Jayne Kirkpatrick in the Forest goal unprotected and Longridge free to score their third goal.

Forest never gave up the fight, and from some positive attacking play down the left they forced a penalty corner which resulted in a goal by Karen Nuttall.

Despite continued determination and great covering work from player of the match Kayleigh McKane, Longridge still managed some skillfull play up front and found gaps in the Forest defence to score another goal from open play, and an excellent deceptive strike from a penalty corner.

Pendle Forest second team entertained Blackpool second team in a battle for third place in the league.

Forest dominated the first quarter of the match, only to concede two goals due to defensive errors, in open play.

They pulled a goal back form a well-worked short corner, struck by Janet Mitchell Stanworth and converted by player of the match Judith Hind, to make the score 2-1 at half-time.

After the break, Pendle Forest came out even stronger, to completely dominate the second half.

Tempers flared, which led to both sides losing a player.

Forest put the ball in the back of the net, only to find that it had been disallowed, and in the moments following the goal captain Janet Mitchell-Stanworth was sinbinned for unsporting behaviour.

After a lengthly stoppage, both teams were keen to continue with the game.

Forest, through persistence, were awarded a penalty corner which Ali DeCurtis converted to level the score at 2-2.

The second team are away at Longridge tomorrow.

Two Pendle Forest junior teams were in action at the weekend, competing in a tournament at Stonyhurst College.

Congratulations to all those that played.

All played extremely well and Thea Cormack scored a fantastic individual goal.