Pendle Hockey round-up

editorial image

Pendle Forest first team played at home against fellow strugglers Newcastle University hoping for their first win of the season.

A missed chance from an early Pendle Forest penalty corner allowed Newcastle to clear the ball from defence and take it to the other end of the field, forcing the Forest goalkeeper Jayne Kirkpatrick to make a great save.

But as the ball dropped down, a Newcastle striker followed up quickly to put the visitors 1-0 up.

Later on in the first half a defensive error gave Newcastle an easy second goal, and the home team needed some inspirational play.

This came from team captain Cathy Waters, who shot towards goal, only for it to be deflected up into the air by a defender.

Dani Atherton controlled the ball and sent it across the face of goal to Natalie Mitchell, who reversed stick flicked it into the bottom left corner.

Player of the match Jan Cormack (pictured) made some fantastic tackles at the back to keep Newcastle Uni at bay and distribute the ball to Forest’s midfield and forwards.

Forest pressured Newcastle for the first 10 minutes of the second half, but then when they gained possession they struggled to keep the ball.

Forest decided to push up from defence to try and at least equalise, but a breakaway from Newcastle stretched the scoreline even further, leaving the final result at 3-1.

The first team play Wakefield at home tomorrow.

On Sunday, Pendle Forest juniors travelled to Preston Arena to compete in the Under 15 Lancashire League.

Forest faced Blackpool in their first game, who immediately started using the long ball.

Mawgan Naylor provided Forest with some strong defence, neutralising this early pressure.

Alice Parkinson started her assault on the opposition, putting three goals past the Blackpool keeper in quick succession for her first hat trick! Olivia Purtill grabbed a fourth from a goalmouth scramble.

Springfields stepped up as Forest’s second opponents of the morning and dominated the early stages.

Despite strong tackling from Bryony Clarkson and Kafia Char, Springfields scored three goals in the first half.

Tactical changes at half time gave Katie “Ducky” Goodwill opportunity to create space up front, and Forest took control, pulling two back.

A decisive pass from Olivia Bythell was converted as Freya Bythell put Forest level.

Strong attacking by Hannah Gill released Annabel Smith to give Forest the lead and three points.