Seventh heaven for unbeaten champs Forest

Hayley Baines scored six goals in two games for Pendle Forest seconds over the weekend (s).
Hayley Baines scored six goals in two games for Pendle Forest seconds over the weekend (s).
Share this article

Pendle Forest maintained their superb form with a 7-0 win at Ulverston on Saturday.

Lisa Crewe opened the scoring, dribbling into the D with a low shot clearing the goalkeeper.

Forest continued to chip away at the Ulverston defence and found their second opening through Karen Wignall, who deflected the shot in on the near post.

Further pressure from the attack gave Wignall her second goal, when quick reflexes deflected a lifted shot from Crewe sharply past the keeper.

With 10 minutes to half time, Crewe got on the end of a cross from player of the match Kayleigh Vickers and coolly deflected the ball across the face of goal and into the top right hand corner.

Although they were four ahead, Forest still hadn’t worked to their full potential against the bottom team and and needed to put more effort in during the second half.

They pressed on, and with more hunger for goals, Cathy Waters came up with the goods, beating the keeper at close range.

Crewe then sealed her hat-trick with a penalty corner strike, closely followed by Wignall who also managed her hat-trick and the seventh goal for Forest.

The first team play Wigan at home tomorrow in their penultimate league game before the play-offs.

The second team beat Clitheroe seconds 5-1 on Saturday with Hayley Baines scoring twice, and Natalie Mitchell, Judith Hind and Freya Bythell, with a drag flick, on target.

The seconds also played on Sunday against Lancaster and Morecambe and won 6 - 0, as Baines hit four.

Mitchell was again on the scoresheet, with Bythell scoring another drag flick.

The seconds moved second in the table as a result.

Forest’s third string travelled to Cumbria to meet leaders Windermere.

Windermere came out flying, however, Forest changed their formation and, for the most part, kept Windermere at bay.

With Rosie Southworth and Julie Findon back in the line up, Forest had a lot more speed and strength. Findon was instrumental in distribution to both flanks, and Southworth made tackle after tackle to cut out attacks.

Windermere earned themselves a number of penalty corners, but Forest’s defenders stood up to be counted.

Paula Markham was outstanding at right back as she linked well with Judy Bentham and Rebecca Whitham-Kay to play the ball out of danger.

Cath Hutchinson, in midfield, was somewhat marked out of the game by Windermere, but Findon spread the ball wide for midfielders Amy Trickett and Debs Batley, to power down their respective wings to play in forwards Claire Birkett and player of the match Emma Ziegloser.

Despite some good attacking moves Forest couldn’t capitalise due to solid defending.

It remained 0-0 at half time and was very much ‘as you were’ at the start of the second half.

Windermere did take the upper hand when a loose ball fell kindly, and the striker flicked the ball over Debs Lancaster in the Forest goal for a top class finish.

Forest didn’t let their heads drop, and Findon linked well with Rachel Bradley and Birkett, with both strikers having great opportunities.

Forest played their best hockey in the last 10 minutes. Trickett was pushed up to striker and as she entered the D, Debs Batley threaded a straight ball through, leaving Trickett just the keeper to beat, and she kept her cool as Forest became the first team to take a point from Windermere all season.